This Cranberry-Olive Oil cake is such an elegant, classy cake that can either be enjoyed at breakfast or as an afternoon snack or as an after dinner dessert. I know and strongly believe that, butter makes everything taste good, but I also very strongly believe that olive oil can make things taster better. I love baking with olive oil, period.
This year went by so fast. It was a haze. For some it probably felt like the time froze after March 2020 but to me it was a year of family time, baking, learning new things and being innovative. So, no complaints 😊
Talking about baking, I baked quite a lot this year – many many tea cakes. Baked for us but mostly baked for friends to send them some cheer.
During pear season, baked Pear Cakes, during pumpkin season, baked Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe, during Diwali, baked Gulab Jamun Misti Doi Cheesecake and/or Caramel Tres Leches Cake Recipe, during winter a very decadent Chocolate Whiskey Cake and on and on.
Now for the Christmas baking, bringing you this yummy Cranberry Olive Oil Cake
- I used two different cake pans since I baked for multiple friends.
- It keeps well, because of the olive oil.
- I used fresh cranberries as they’re everywhere this time of year. But if you don’t have fresh cranberries, you go ahead and use frozen cranberries.
- I didn’t use any orange zest but adding orange zest in the batter will take the cake to another level
- I used eggs in the cake but if you want to skip eggs, do the following :
- – For each egg, mix together 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons warm water. Let the mixture stand for one minute before using.
- – For each egg, combine 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups/ 400 grams granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups light olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tea spoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup/230 ml buttermilk room temperature
- 3 cups/375 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tea spoons baking powder
- 1/2 tea spoons baking soda
- 1/2 tea spoons salt
- 2 cups/200 g fresh cranberries rinsed, dried and tossed with 1/2 table spoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350˚F with a rack in the center of the oven. Generously butter and flour your cake pan, tapping out excess flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and sugar for 3 minutes on high speed, until pale in color.
- Add olive oil, vanilla extract, blending between each ingredient then mix in buttermilk until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients on low speed until no flour streaks remain.
- Fold cranberries into the batter
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350˚F for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean with some moist crumbs. Cool 15 minutes in pan then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely before drizzling with orange glaze.
PIN for Later