Let’s talk about two irresistibly desserts meeting and becoming friends and turning into an amazing dessert – Yes, I’m talking about Gulab Jamuns and Misti Doi. Two of India’s quintessential festive sweets. This eggless cheesecake combining gulab jamuns and sweetened yogurt is a showstopper, friends.
In this recipe, I didn’t make my own gulab jamuns , I used store bought ones. But if you really want to make your own Gulab Jamuns then check out the recipe here – Gulab Jamun | Lengcha | How to Make Gulab Jamun
Also, making Misti Doi is pretty easy. Go over the recipe step by step and you won’t be disappointed.
For the crust
• 11/12 cookies/biscuits (I used Marie biscuits)
• 4 tablespoons melted butter or ghee and 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
For Misti Doi
• 4 cups Yogurt/1000 gram will produce 2 cups of strained yogurt
• ¼ teaspoon saffron strands mixed in warm milk
• 2 tablespoons milk powder
• 1 tin/306 grams sweetened condensed milk
• ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
• 9 count firm Gulab Jamun
• 2 extra gulab jamuns to cut into small pieces and mix into the Misti Doi
• Gulab Jamuns
• Crushed Pistachio
• Edible rose petals
Prepare the crust
• Lightly grease the base and sides of a 6” springform pan.
• Place a parchment round on the base.
• Roughly break the crackers and pulse in a food processor until it resembles sand. Now add the melted butter and cardamom powder to it and pulse few times until mixed well.
• Press this mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Use a small bowl to press it down firmly.
• Place the pan in the freezer until you prepare the Misti Doi batter.
Prepare the Misti Doi
• Line a fine sieve or colander with a cheesecloth. Place a bowl underneath the sieve. Now, pour yogurt into the middle of the cheesecloth.
• Gather the sides of the cheesecloth and tightly fold the cheesecloth. Do not squeeze the cheesecloth.
• Place a plate and heavyweight over the folded cheesecloth. Let the sieve, bowl, and yogurt rest overnight in the refrigerator.
• After the rest time is over, the excess liquid (whey) will strain into the bowl underneath and you will end up with a thick yogurt that will have cream-cheese like consistency. Store the yogurt in the refrigerator
• Place the gulab jamuns on a mesh strainer to get rid of as much syrup as you can.
• Preheat the oven to 180C. or 350F.
• Place the drained yogurt, condensed milk, milk powder in a large bowl and whisk with a balloon whisk until smooth. Mix the cardamom powder, bloomed saffron milk
• Stir all the ingredients together until well mixed.
• Add chopped Gulab Jamun and fold until smooth. Set aside.
• Arrange sliced Gulab Jamuns into the chilled crust
• Pour the yogurt filling over the sliced Gulab Jamun
• Using an offset spatula spread the even layer of yogurt filling over the Gulab Jamuns. Turn into prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes.
• Then chill covered in baking tin overnight.
• De mold and place on cake stand/serving platter.
• Once chilled, garnish the Gulab Jamun Misti Doi Cheesecake with crushed pistachios, dried rose petals, and gulab jamuns.