This Crab Masala Fry recipe is my first recipe to belong to the Friends & Family Recipes category. I’m lucky to be coming from a family of food lovers and equally lucky to be with friends who enjoy eating and trying recipes.
This Crab Masala Fry recipe belongs to my cousin from the east coast. He is creative, kind and a fine taste in everything. My cousin who lives in Connecticut visited me during the lock down and we had a blast. He is creative, kind and a fine taste in everything. Every day was filled with laughter, jokes and above all good food and yummy cocktails. He prepared this Crab Masala Fry with my husband as the sous chef and I loved it so much that I thought to do a post on this recipe.
If you like it spicy and hot and above all, if crabs are one of your favorite sea foods then you came to the right recipe. This Crab Masala Fry recipe will satisfy your taste buds with a medley of spices and aromatics. This may be bursting with a complexity of flavors but ultimately its so delicious and not necessarily a difficult dish to prepare. The depth of flavor is amazing.
This crab dish tasted heavenly with a full bodied red wine. We licked off the whole pot in one sitting. 🙂
- 5/6 fresh or frozen crabs cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3 Table spoons spicy red chili powder
- 1 Table spoon turmeric
- 7/8 red chilies
- 1 Table spoon saunf/fennel seeds
- 2 table spoon cumin
- 1 table spoon coriander
- 2 med sized onion
- 2 inch ginger
- 5/6 cloves garlic
- Dry roast fennel seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds and grind into a coarse powder
- Make a paste of Onion, ginger and garlic
- Heat oil in a pan
- Fry the crab with 1 table spoon chili powder, turmeric and salt in med low heat for 4/5 minutes
- In a deep pan heat more oil
- Add Onion, ginger and garlic paste, salt, turmeric and sauté for 5/6 minutes. Keep stirring.., if the gravy stick to the bottom of the pan adds 1/4 cup of water. (At this stage give a taste test add salt and chili powder if needed.)
- Once the masala is cooked and the raw smell is gone, add the fennel+coriander+cumin powder
- Add the fried crab too
- Add some more chili powder and stir the crabs into the masala well making sure its coated evenly
- Cover with the lid and cook the crab for 8 to 10 mins stirring occasionally
- The color of the masala has become slightly darker and you can see a thin glaze of oil appears on sides of the pan. It’s time to turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle some handful of chopped coriander leaves and serve.
- PIN for Later