This butter free and eggs free Semolina Coconut Cake will blow your mind. This can be your perfect tea cake or that perfect afternoon pick-me-up cake. This is a very popular cake in many parts of the world though named differently. This Semolina Coconut Cake is also known as the famous Baath Cake in Goa or the Basbousa Cake in Egypt and middle east. You might want to check out another middle eastern cake – Mini Persian Love Cakes (No-Eggs)
In this Semolina Coconut Cake recipe, I’m going to add the oven method as well as the pressure cooker method. I have tried both and the outcome on both methods has been awesome.
One thing I want to add here is that, in this Semolina Coconut Cake, you don’t have to use coconut if you are not big on coconut flavor. Add some dry fruits instead. But I love the coconut flavor, so I added coconut.
This is one cake my husband loves a lot. It gives me a lot of pleasure to see him enjoy this cake as he is very picky about other cakes. Another cake that’s a favorite for my husband and my parents is the Date Cake. I make either a Semolina Coconut Cake or a Date cake or a Pistachio Rose water Cake at least twice a month.
Since I decided to keep this post short (I know, right), I’m gonna stop talking now and go straight to the Ingredients.
- 1 cup/167 gms semolina or sooji
- 1 cup/200 gms sugar
- 1 cup/100 grams grated coconut (fresh or dry)
- 1 cup/250 ml oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 cup/245 gms yogurt
- 1 cup/237ml milk
- 1 cup/136 gms all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 TBSP vanilla essence or rose water
METHOD – OVEN
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degree F
- Mix all the ingredients and allow to rest for 15 minutes
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan
- Bake for 35/40 minutes
METHOD – PRESSURE COOKER
- Take the whistle and the gasket out of the cooker
- Place a stand inside the cooker and put the lid on without the casket or whistle
- Switch on the gas to high and pre heat the pressure cooker for 5 minutes.
- Pour the semolina coconut mixture into a greased pan. I used a small square pan that fits into my pressure cooker but you can use small round ones.
- Put the pan onto the pre heated pressure cooker and cook for 60/70 minutes on medium heat.
Do not use water in the pressure cooker
Do not use salt in the pressure cooker
Do not use the gasket (the rubber ring around the rim of the lid of your pressure cooker) or the whistle
Always place a plate or stand at the bottom of the pressure cooker to make sure heat is spread evenly while cooking
Keep flame to a simmer so that the cooker doesn’t heat up too much
Always be super careful when using your pressure cooker to make a cake and watch your safety.
PIN for LATER —-