There is something amazing about baking a cake for someone. It fills you with a sense of achievement and makes you feel generous… Yes, agreed, anyone can walk into a bakery and buy the fanciest cake out there, but nothing beats the feeling of baking a cake from scratch (with imperfect frosting, of course) and bringing it over to celebrate someone. That smile on their face – priceless. Starting from the planning to baking it, each step has that person’s thoughts etched in your mind.
The special part about this Birthday Chocolate Cake is
- You don’t need an oven (Yeah, you heard it right)
- Its done in less than 30 minutes (Literally)
- You need no fancy Baking gadgets. All you need a microwave proof mug.
- You don’t have to worry about the left overs
Last year in August, I baked a The Naked Red Velvet Cake. It was three-tier and it took me quite a bit of work. This year, I decided to keep it really simple yet classic. :). I also decided to make this Birthday Chocolate Cake just for two (Sounds selfish, no?). I was debating between an Afogatto and a quick chocolate cake for two. Decided on the latter. This Birthday Chocolate Cake for Two is a really simple cake. All you need is less than 30 minutes (that includes the baking and frosting time as well).
I decided to frost the cake with Strawberry Buttercream and the buttercream was so delicious that, I literally licked it off the bowl.
These Chocolate Cakes for Two would be perfect to serve for dessert on Valentine’s day, or for any other special day where all you want is celebrate someone you adore or even for those days when you just have a bad chocolate craving.
They are quick and simple to make, taste great and you don’t have to worry about leftovers.
For the cake
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 Table Spoons veg oil
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tea spoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour/maida
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tea spoon instant coffee
- 1/2 Tea Spoon baking powder
- ¼ Tea Spoon baking soda
For the Strawberry Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 Table spoons seedless strawberry jam/fresh strawberries
- 1/2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 Table poon milk
- pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, oil and yogurt
- Shift the dry ingredients into the oil, sugar and yogurt mixture
- Add the milk and coffee and blend in
- Heavily grease two large microwave safe cups/pans with butter and evenly distribute batter into them.
- Microwave each mug by itself for 40 seconds on high. (NOTE – start with 40 seconds. Depending on your microwave you may require more or less time)
- Remove from microwave and shake slightly to loosen cake from the pans.
- Flip mug over onto parchment paper-lined plate or board.
- Completely cool the cakes
- Cream together butter and ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar at a time.
- After each cup of sugar has been added, add strawberry jam, then add vanilla and then beat on high for about 20 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Add milk and salt and whip on high for a final 20 seconds.
- Frost the top of each layer before stacking.
PIN for Later: